The scope and positioning of aviation obstruction lights.
“The Civil Aviation Law of the Republic of China” and other relevant documents provide clear requirements for the positioning of obstruction lights:
- The airport clearance limit protection area, ultra-high buildings and other obstructions should have aviation obstruction lights and signs installed.
- All artificial and natural obstructions that affect the landing approach route and flight safety in general must have aviation obstruction lights and signage installed.
- All tall buildings and facilities that may affect flight safety should have aviation obstruction lights and signage installed and properly maintained.
- The Police, the fire fighting services as well as other transportation services have helipads. Consequently tall buildings and other such structures should have aviation obstruction lights and signage installed to ensure safe clearance over the city.
Classification of Aviation Obstruction Lights
Issued by ICAO under the MH/T60121999 “airport of international standards and recommended practices” annex XIV. There are three categories of obstruction lights, low intensity, medium intensity and high intensity.
1) A low-intensity obstruction light is a constant red light, with peak optical power of 32.5cd. It is not generally used in isolation but in conjunction with medium intensity and high intensity obstruction lights. Buildings of more than 45 meters high should have multi-storey medium intensity or high intensity obstacle lights.
Low intensity obstruction lights can be set between medium intensity and high intensity obstruction lights. (The low intensity obstruction light is red with an effective light intensity of 100cd ± 25%)
2) Medium intensity obstruction lights are divided into two categories, according to luminance:
a) Medium intensity obstruction light Type A is a white strobe light flashing with an effective light intensity of 20000cd-2000cd. It is used for buildings of more than 105 meters in height and is used together with high-intensity light type B.
b) Medium intensity obstruction light Type B is a red strobe light flashing with an effective light intensity of 2000cd ± 25%. They are used for buildings with heights below 105 meters and are used together with medium and high-intensity light type B.
c) Medium intensity obstruction light Type C is a red strobe light steady burn with an effective light intensity of 2000cd ± 25%.
3) High intensity obstruction lights are divided into two categories according to luminance:
a) The high-intensity obstruction light Type A is a white strobe light, and changes it’s intensity in daytime, dusk, dawn and night. The effective light intensity for daytime is 200000cd ± 25, dusk and dawn 20000cd ± 25% and night 2000cd ± 25%. It is used mainly for buildings and structures of more than 150 meters or in conjunction with medium intensity obstruction lights.
b) The high-intensity obstruction light Type B is a white strobe light and changes intensity in the daytime, dusk dawn and night. The effective light intensity for daytime is 100000 cd ± 25%; dusk and dawn 20000cd ± 25% and night 2000cd ± 25%. It is used mainly for marking electrical wire, cable and high-voltage transmission lines, etc.. .
Aviation Obstruction Lights Positioning
1. Obstruction should be marked at the highest and most marginal point and that is where the obstruction lights should be installed, (i.e., Sight height and width).
2. If the top of the obstruction is 45 meters above the surrounding ground then the obstruction lights must be set between the layers in which the middle layer must be not more than 45 meters , and as far as possible equal (In the city high-rise buildings more than100meters, In particular, the middle layer set obstruction lights should be considered.)
When obstruction lights are installed on buildings in the city consideration must be taken of local residents comfort. A general requirement is that the light should only be seen from the ground.
3. Form the majority of buildings set in all aspects of obstruction lights should be able to see the outline of objects; the horizontal direction can refer to the distance of 45 meters obstacle lights.
4. All obstructions of 105 meters or higher should be equipped with the top type A intensity light, which is a white strobe light. Below that level Red medium intensity light type B should be installed.
5. Objects in excess of 150 meters high (such as television towers, large span cable-stayed bridges, etc.) should have the top type A high intensity obstacle lights installed with high intensity obstacle lights used in conjunction.
6. EHV transmission line towers should be equipped with high intensity obstacle light Type B and three layer light flash synchronously. Location must be at the highest point, the lowest point of cable sag and in the middle between the two. and located in the tower outside along the direction of the cable.
7. Chimneys or other similar buildings must have lights installed at the top 1.5-3 meters. However taking into account of the chimney smoke, the obstruction lights may be installed within 4-6 meters from the chimney ( See excerpts from the national standard.)
8. Regardless of the kinds of obstruction lights installed as well as their height, number and arrangement, the outline of objects and object groups must be clearly visible from all directions. The syncrhronised flashing lights must provide clear and obvious warning.
Overview of Nanhua aviation obstruction lights
The Shanghai Nanhua Electronic Co Ltd. has been researching and developing aviation obstruction lights since 2007. In late 2007 and after communication and cooperation with foreign industry personnel, we launched the first aviation lights, the ABC-7L series, using LED light source. That change from using high-energy light in domestic aviation lighting products to our newly developed green energy –saving devices was in line with market demand for greener product.
Nanhua electronics LED products are made from imported super-bright LED with high luminous efficiency, lower power consumption, low heat and has a long lifespan. Products using an aluminum base, a PC cover, and are both shockproof and corrosion resistant, can operate in harsh environments.
Either a flashing or steady light type can be customised and the overall level of IP protection is up to 65. Nanhua has ensured from the start that their standards had to meet international certification standards and strictly adhere to the standards of international organizations such as ICAO and the U.S. FAA.
Ensuring high quality and high standards, Shanghai Nanhua provides a series of aviation lighting products, including
Low intensity type A:
Low intensity type B:
Nanhua aviation light products extend to medium intensity and high intensity series
Same period develop series of solar products to meet market demand
Solar Low intensity type A:
Solar Low intensity type B:
Solar medium intensity
Nanhua electronics has expanded its products to other relevant aviation lights, and continued innovating its controller, photoelectric switch, GPS positioning and mounting bracket. Currently the company offers complete solutions supporting aviation lights for different mechanical and electrical projects and provides professional installation programs. One –step style meets all the needs of customers.
Currently Nanhua aviation obstruction lights are widely used in high-rise buildings, telecommunications towers, and other applications around airports.
Development of Nanhua aviation lights
In 2007 Nanhua electronics independently developed the first mechanical and electrical low-light intensity aviation obstruction light, the ABC-7L. That same year, nearly 3 million units were sold to India’s third-largest telecom dealer, RELIANCE, with ABC-7L lights with PC covers, aluminum bases and LED’s. The design, stability and durability gained good reports from customers. Nanhua also signed an exclusive agency agreement with Pakistan GAIN, which was it’s first step into the global market.
In 2008 Nanhua electronics developed a series of products of low intensity lights based on ABC-7L. As a result of contacts with foreign clients and being informed of customer needs, Nanhua launched the LS series of low intensity lights being type A and type B obstacle lights, LS701, LS702, LS707-2, LS708. This series of products passed the South African SABS testing and certification, and are sold to the African market. At the same time Nanhua signed an exclusive agency agreement with the South African NAVLIGHT, UK Delta, and Malaysia EDP and which laid a foundation for global market development.
During the second half of 2008 and in order to meet market demand the Nanhua solar product, LT101 was launched onto the market.
During the same period the medium intensity product ABC-7M, and LM001 was officially launched and began selling.
The 2009 global financial crisis also brought gloom to the aviation obstruction light market. In spite of that, Nanhua aviation obstruction lights continued to maintain growth, especially in the telecommunications industries. More and more telecom operators and contractors accepted Nanhua products.
Nanhua provides substantial aviation obstruction lights and ancillary products to Alcatel through their agent, and started cooperation with ALSTOM for research and development of high intensity aviation obstruction lights and control projects.
Nanhua electronics has signed an agency agreement with Cambodia ATS.
In December the ABC-7L, LS701, LS707-2, LS708, ABC-7A series of products achieved a patent certificate from the PRC State Intellectual Property Office
In 2010 the sales of aviation obstruction lights achieved 800 million and Nanhua officially launched the medium intensity LM Series LM101, LM201, LM212, and new models of solar products LT108, LT208, LT505, LT506.. We reached an agreement with Telecom contractor Ramboll to provide long-term aviation obstruction lights application solutions.
In April after long-term communication and effort, Shanghai Nanhua met the requirements of ZTE and started to provide ZTE aviation obstruction lighting products.
In that same year and in the field of wind power Nanhua has maintained close contacts with the global top 10 wind power manufacturers and has provided aviation obstruction lights for Vestas, Gold wind and Sinovel ect.
Aviation obstruction light acceptance and demand has been greatly improved,
During the current year, LS708, LM001 obtained aICAO test report. The products are in full compliance with ICAO international standards.
During 2011 the company has constantly adjusted its products to meet market demand, and will introduce to the market low intensity light LS710, medium intensity light LM100 and high intensity light LM401.
Till May, Nanhua electronics has provided more than 2000 LT101 solar aviation obstruction lights for Huawei telecom projects in Southeast Asia.
Contributed by David -Nanhua International Market Manger.